Breaking News

carbon monoxide safety tips

carbon monoxide safety tips

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, lethal, colorless and odorless gas. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane and natural gas. Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines, such as portable generators, self-propelled, lawn mowers and high-pressure cleaners, also produce CO.



carbon monoxide safety tips




Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:


Because CO is colorless, odorless, and otherwise undetectable to human senses, people may not know they are exposed. The first symptoms of mild to moderate CO poisoning are similar to those of influenza (but without fever). They include:

* headache

* tired

* shortness of breath

* Nausea

* fear of heights


High CO poisoning causes more and more serious symptoms, including:

* mental confusion

* vomiting

* Loss of muscle coordination

* Loss of consciousness

* finally death



Severity of symptoms



is related to both CO level and duration of exposure. Occupants and / or physicians may confuse symptoms of mild to moderate intoxication with influenza, sometimes resulting in tragic deaths. In the case of high-concentration exposures of CO that develop rapidly (associated with the use of generators in residential spaces, for example), victims can quickly become confused and lose control of their muscles without having already felt less severe symptoms, they will probably die if not checked in.





carbon monoxide Health Effect





The effects of CO on health depend on the concentration of CO and time of exposure, as well as the health status of each individual. The CO concentration is measured in parts per million (ppm). Prolonged exposure to CO levels of about 1 to 70 ppm does not usually cause symptoms in some patients, but some heart patients may experience an increase in chest pain. When CO levels rise and stay above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and can include headaches, fatigue and nausea. Maintenance of OC concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, loss of consciousness and possible death.

 



 


Exposure of carbon monoxide:





If you think you have any of the symptoms of CO poisoning, get out of the area or house immediately, you may lose consciousness and die while staying in the area or at home. It is also important to contact a doctor immediately for a correct diagnosis. Tell your doctor that you suspect CO poisoning. Rapid medical attention is important if you have symptoms of CO poisoning. If the doctor confirms CO poisoning, make sure that a qualified technician checks the equipment for proper operation before reuse.



Prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning:


* Never service combustion appliances without proper knowledge, skills and tools. Always refer to the owner's manual when making minor adjustments or performing repairs on combustion equipment.

* Never use portable camping fuel burning equipment in a house, garage, vehicle or tent unless it is specifically designed for use in a confined space and provides instructions for use in all security in an enclosed space.

* Never burn charcoal in a house, garage, vehicle or tent.

* Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.

* Never use gas appliances such as ovens or clothes dryers to heat your home.

* Never use unvented fuel appliances in a room where people sleep.

* During home renovations, make sure the vents and chimneys of appliances are not obstructed by tarpaulins or debris. Make sure appliances are in good working order when renovations are complete.

No comments

Please do not enter any spam link in the comment Box.