Breaking News

Carbone Monoxide

Carbone Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colourless, odourless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, wagons, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce CO.






Symptoms of CO poisoning:


Because CO is colourless, odourless and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:
Ø  Headache
Ø  Fatigue
Ø  Shortness of breath
Ø  Nausea
Ø  Dizziness
High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:
Ø  Mental confusion
Ø  Vomiting
Ø  Loss of muscular coordination
Ø  Loss of consciousness
Ø  Ultimately death
Symptom severity
is related to both the CO level and the duration of exposure. For slowly developing residential CO problems, occupants and/or physicians can mistake mild to moderate CO poisoning symptoms for the flu, which sometimes results in tragic deaths. For rapidly developing, high level CO exposures (e.g., associated with use of generators in residential spaces), victims can rapidly become mentally confused, and can lose muscle control without having first experienced milder symptoms; they will likely die if not
rescued.






Health Effect


The

health effects of CO depend on the CO concentration and time of exposure, as well as each individual's health condition. CO concentration is measured in parts per million (ppm). Most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm but some heart patients might experience an increase in chest pain. As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and can include headache, fatigue and nausea. At sustained CO concentrations above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness, and death are

possible.

 

 

Exposure of CO:


If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of CO poisoning, get outside from the area / home to fresh air immediately, you could lose consciousness and die if you stay in the area / home. It is also important to contact a doctor immediately for a proper diagnosis. Tell your doctor that you suspect CO poisoning is causing your problems. Prompt medical attention is important if you are experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning. If the doctor confirms CO poisoning, make sure a qualified service person checks the appliances for proper operation before reusing them.


Prevention of CO poisoning:


Ø  Never service fuel-burning appliances without proper knowledge, skill and tools. Always refer to the owner’s manual when performing minor adjustments or servicing fuel-burning equipment.
Ø  Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage, and vehicle or tent unless it is specifically designed for use in an enclosed space and provides instructions for safe use in an enclosed area.
Ø  Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent.
Ø  Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
Ø  Never use gas appliances such as ovens or cloth dryers to heat your home.
Ø  Never operate unvented fuel-burning appliances in any room where people are sleeping.
Ø  During home renovations, ensure that appliance vents and chimneys are not blocked by tarps or debris. Make sure appliances are in proper working order when renovations are complete.

“Being alert never hurts”




No comments